SWIM FOR RVH

THE CHALLENGE...
Josef Polcz Swims to beat and concour Lake Ontario ( postponed )
To Swim 52km across Lake Ontario from Niagara On The Lake (NOTL) to Toronto's Marilyn Bell Park (MBP)
SWIM FOR LIFE.... Josef Polcz Swims 52km across Lake Ontario to raise money for RVH Cancer Center...
Dedicated to my mother Catherina Polcz, and all Cancer survivors.

(Start time pending weather)


Saturday, June 22, 2013

6 hour swim in the books!

Well I managed to swim the longest and furthest I have ever swum in open water....nothing to it! ;)

I started out from Centennial beach at 7:30am as planned and swam out 3hours with fairly calm waters and slight overcast skies, which was good for both me and my crew Keith Hodgson and Joanne.....

Oh btw, I got last min news that my coach Zack couldn't make my swim and I mean last min at 11pm last night! Apparently he didn't get my message about the swim being today, but part of that was my fault because when I messaged him last week I told him my swim was on the 29th, he got that message but I realized I meant I needed him for today the 22nd, and sent off a second message right after which he didn't see? and couldn't make it because he had to work form 7-9am and then was off to a wedding after...No harm no foul! :)

So I put a shout out on FB last night to Keith who was still up and who was kind enough to come out for support in Zack's place! If not for Keith I wouldn't have been able to do my swim today because Joanne was adamant last night about not going out on the zodiac by herself! Thank Keith! you saved the day!!

I managed to swim 8k in the first 3 hours, then I turned around to swim back, hoping to keep the same pace. Well that wasn't going to happen! the wind picked up, causing what seemed to be 2 foot high waves and I was swimming into it!  Well I kept on pounding out the waves and kept going only to take my nutrition breaks every 20min as per secondary plan. Originally I planned on taking food and hydration breaks every 30min but soon changed it to 20 min as it felt better for me...Hence the purpose of this training swim, live and learn! lol

So the end result is some sore shoulders and neck but I did the 6 hour swim easily, covering 14k or 8 miles in 18C water temp naked! ( no wetsuit ) .....

Keith and Joanne said after when I came out of the water how consistent and even my stroke was the whole way, as well as how straight I swam!  ....I said; I Know! lol ;)

If you check out my Garmin data you can see what a straight line I swam in!
http://connect.garmin.com/activity/331600956


Here is s short video of my swim back into the wind.

And some pic's of the day! ....Calm waters to start.













 Starting to get windy and waves picking up...




 When I got out after 6 hours of swimming, a lot windier and ruffer water.
 As I got out of the water, Keith did a great job driving.
 Picnic lunch eating subs Joanne prepared before hand after we docked



No comments:

Post a Comment