SWIM FOR RVH

THE CHALLENGE...
Josef Polcz Swims to beat and concour Lake Ontario ( postponed )
To Swim 52km across Lake Ontario from Niagara On The Lake (NOTL) to Toronto's Marilyn Bell Park (MBP)
SWIM FOR LIFE.... Josef Polcz Swims 52km across Lake Ontario to raise money for RVH Cancer Center...
Dedicated to my mother Catherina Polcz, and all Cancer survivors.

(Start time pending weather)


Wednesday, May 1, 2013

Running like a Chicken....

I've been running around like a chicken with it's head cut off! Sure I'm getting my swims in, and now biking and running outside. yes training is going well, but there just isn't enough time in the day to do all the things I want to do! ...

Yesterday I found a Marine mechanic to fix my 20hp Johnson motor I picked up from a friend which wasn't running but said if I can get it fixed I can keep it.

I was looking though Kijiji and found a guy who was selling motors in the add that looked promising, and to see if he can fix my motor, so I call him to see what the prices were for his motors he had listed but didn't list prices on,and I asked if he could fix my motor.  He told me to bring it down, so I asked him where his shop is and he said he works out of his home and gives me his address.

Well, wouldn't you know it! he lives literally 1.5 km away, only 5 or so  blocks from my home! lol  I've been driving past his house for over 20 years and never realized he ran a marine shop out of his home as a marine mechanic! lol

So I take my 20hp Johnson motor to him to hopefully get repaired, but in the mean time I also looked at all the motors he had for sale and decided to pick up a 10hp Honda for cheap! and he guarantees it will run perfect! if not, I just return it and he will make sure it runs perfect! So I left a $50.00 deposit and will pick it up when and if my Johnson gets fixed.

Why buy the Honda if I can get  the Johnson fixed for my Zodiac?

One reason is I need the 10hp motor for my Zodiac so anyone can drive my zodiac while I swim.  In Ontario any motor over 10hp  you need to be licenced and with the 20hp motor on my Zodiac I will have a hard time finding someone who can operate the Zodiac legally.

Also the Honda is a lot newer the the Johnson 20hp which is a 1964 model which he said is a great motor and is why it's still kicking around, but the Honda is a 1990's something?  and I'll use the 20 hp on the Zodiac for me to toot around on (as I have my operators licence)

Which brings me to my Zodiac! I was given the Zodiac by the same friend who gave me the motor but the Zodiac as good as it is, is old, but works great! I've had it out several time last year using an electric motor, but it needs some TLC so I've been working on patching it up with a nice coat of rubber sealant over all the seems and it should be as good as new and ready to go with the Honda.

On another note! Speaking of boats and motors! I'm still looking for my second crew boat 24ft + motor or sail boat, prefeably on a volunteer basis for my Lake Ontario swim July 28-30. if anyone out there who has a boat or  knows of someone who has a boat  that might be willing to help out please let me know, my last prospect fell though as they are racing a regatta the same weekend on Lake Ontario.

Message me please to make a deal @  joepolcz@rogers.com , Thanks.

:)

No comments:

Post a Comment