SWIM FOR RVH

THE CHALLENGE...
Josef Polcz Swims to beat and concour Lake Ontario ( postponed )
To Swim 52km across Lake Ontario from Niagara On The Lake (NOTL) to Toronto's Marilyn Bell Park (MBP)
SWIM FOR LIFE.... Josef Polcz Swims 52km across Lake Ontario to raise money for RVH Cancer Center...
Dedicated to my mother Catherina Polcz, and all Cancer survivors.

(Start time pending weather)


Monday, July 15, 2013

Decision made by board

As I continue my training I regret to say based on the boards decision that I am postponing my Lake Ontario swim until next year 2014.

The board decided I could in fact redo my 16km swim in Lake Simcoe rather then Lake Ontario which are very similar waters with wind waves and cold, and knowing I could swim the 16km in under their rule of 6hrs which would only be a difference of what I already swam with an average of 2.4kph to 2.6kph to qualify, but I have decided not to redo my trial swim at this time as I still have a problem with the other rule that the board has decided on which is, I can NOT do the swim with only three boats, I have to have a 4th boat of no less then 30 feet to sanction my swim.

At this time with only 2 weeks away for my Lake swim I can not guarantee I can find a 30ft boat for my swim to have me sanctioned by the board and have decided I was better of deferring my swim to next year giving me another year of training and time to secure my boats!

Yes I said boats!

As it turns out after my trial swim with my swim master with his father's ( Tony) boat and based on the time I swam on my trial swim and that I knowingly figured would take me 22-26hrs or more to swim across lake Ontario, Tony told me he regrets he can't support me on my journey to swim across the lake because of how fatiguing it would be for him as old as he is, in his 70's.

So there you have it, this lake Ontario swim was not meant to be this year with no crew boats.

But this is not the end!!....

My plan now is I will have a swim on my Original lake Ontario swim day of July 28th but it won't be in lake Ontario!  I am taking this opportunity to continue my training and on July 28th I will swim 12 hours in lake Simcoe from Orillia ( Carthew Bay) along the north shore of Kempenfelt Bay down to Barrie's Centennial beach  Orillia to Barrie swim route   On July 28th  which ever comes first! which means if I reach Centennial beach before 12hour I'm done, if I don't reach Centennial beach in 12 hours then I get out of the water at that point and record my distance...

The Distance as calculated by my Map your run web site is approx 27.44km but I will be using my garmin for an accurate account of my distance which might be more or less?

As I planned with my lake Ontario swim, this swim I am planning on and counting on donation to my charity RVH cancer center. RVH Donate home page as I am doing this secondary swim of 12 hours in Lake Simcoe for self satisfaction of my abilities in my training I did and know I could have swam across Lake Ontario this year but will not give up and I will swim Lake Ontario in 2014!

:)

1 comment:

  1. You should look into LOST swimming and Rob Kent to santioning your swim across Ontario. They have less requirments for boats than SOLO swim. etc etc.

    Rob Kent, President and Founder of LOST and LOCO
    the5kents@msn.com

    ReplyDelete