SWIM FOR RVH

THE CHALLENGE...
Josef Polcz Swims to beat and concour Lake Ontario ( postponed )
To Swim 52km across Lake Ontario from Niagara On The Lake (NOTL) to Toronto's Marilyn Bell Park (MBP)
SWIM FOR LIFE.... Josef Polcz Swims 52km across Lake Ontario to raise money for RVH Cancer Center...
Dedicated to my mother Catherina Polcz, and all Cancer survivors.

(Start time pending weather)


Tuesday, July 9, 2013

Test of Endurance or Speed??

I thought it was a test of endurance not speed???

I completed my 16k swim but failed! why? because I was not fast enough? it took me 6 hours and 30min, apparently I had to swim the 16k in 6 hours to pass? I did not know? the way I read the rules was swim 16km in the recommended time of 6 hours, it does not say it has to be done in 6 hours?  with undo fatigue?
"A successful Trial Swim is judged by the completion of the prescribed distance without undue fatigue. The recommended time limit for the 16 km Trial Swim for the Niagara-on-the-Lake to Toronto course is 6 hours. Consideration will be given to weather conditions. The interpretation of these requirements is the responsibility of the Swim Master who makes a recommendation to the Board of Directors of SSO on the acceptability of the Trial Swim. Judgement of the acceptability of the Trial Swim is the responsibility of the SSO Board."

You be the judge what "recommended" 6 hours means, and  without fatigue???

Well lets talk about undue fatigue while i'm at it. First of all I had to get up a 5am where I then packed all my stuff in the car with Joanne and Melissa, then I drove down to Toronto where I picked up my swim master and then drove to Niagara for a total of 4 hours where we then met up with the boat owner and prepared the boat and set off onto lake Ontario.  Now 5 hours into the day starting my swim at 10am.

I started off on to my swim keeping up a constant pace into some ruff water for the first hour then the lake calmed down to a sheet of glass while I kept my constant pace ( note my pace is set on endurance not speed and would guess my heart rate and breathing never were labored maintaining my constant pace of ruffly 2:15 to 2:30 per 100meters though out the whole 16 km ) now if you do the math my constant pace puts me over 6 hour for 16 km but I finished strong and not fatigued and could go on!.

Next after I finished my swim we headed back to the pier all the while I chatted up the crew in good spirits. That is when I was told I did not pass because I didn't swim my 16 km in the "recommended" 6 hours.

When we got back to the pier I helped unload the boat showing I wasn't even tired and still lots of endurance left in me. Then I packed the car up, said my good-byes and thanked everyone including the boat owner.

More on fatigue?....Now we set off for the drive home at 5pm after my 16km swim in 6 hours and 30min swim and over 10 hours into my day, where I was driving my swim master back to Toronto which on this day the sky's opened up over Toronto flooding the city during rush hour!  Not to mention that the city lost power to over 70% and all the street lights were out causing gridlock though out the city.

After hours of sitting on the high way which were being closed because of flooding and the fact that my swim master lived on the east side of Toronto and the major hwy to his house DVP was closed because of flooding we had to take off roads which were slow to because all the street lights were off and at each light the cars had to make four way stops at each intersection.

I finally made it to Shaun's home which took four hours, add that to the 16 km swim in 6hrs and 30 min, plus the 4 hour drive before that I am into 14 hours of going strong!

After talking with Shaun for a while about what happens next? then thanking him for his time, we set off for home another 1hr and 30 min on a good day! but today was not a good day with all the gridlock in Toronto.

I managed to get on the hwy north of the flooding on the DVP and headed north and west and north on the 400 hwy home for a total of 6 hours of driving back from Niagara after my 16km swim in 6 hours and 30 min and a four hour drive to the swim before that!  for a total of 20 hours into the day!

When we got home I unloaded the car and unpacked with Joanne still going strong! after we unpacked I took a shower and with till lots of energy I went down to watch my RAW Wrestling on TV which I DVR'd  to unwind but still full of energy having a couple of beers before going to bed.

So how do I feel today after a good nights sleep? Except for a slight stiffness to my left side of my neck I feel totally fine and Un-fatigued!

To that end I am totally disappointed and really thought this Solo event I have taken on for my marathon swim across lake Ontario was a test on my part of my endurance for me!... and not a test of speed of how fast I can cross the lake!.... as this is how I trained! and wait on the decision of the board on my Lake Ontario swim!


No comments:

Post a Comment