SWIM FOR RVH

THE CHALLENGE...
Josef Polcz Swims to beat and concour Lake Ontario ( postponed )
To Swim 52km across Lake Ontario from Niagara On The Lake (NOTL) to Toronto's Marilyn Bell Park (MBP)
SWIM FOR LIFE.... Josef Polcz Swims 52km across Lake Ontario to raise money for RVH Cancer Center...
Dedicated to my mother Catherina Polcz, and all Cancer survivors.

(Start time pending weather)


Monday, January 21, 2013

Day 15

Week three

Today's swim ....3000m in 1hr But I was lucky to manage that!

Last week getting out of the water after my swim on Wednesday I banged my shin up good when I missed lifting my foot up onto the deck while pulling myself out of the water as I usually do to get out, but this time when I tried to jump up out of the pool I missed my footing falling back into the pool smashing my shin on the corner edge of the  deck!

Well I didn't think anything of it except it hurt allot and I had to compose myself on deck to look cool in front of the people around and just walked it off into the change room. By the time I got to the change room i had a big goose egg on my shine but it wasn't hurting, unless i touched it so I continued on with my day.

Well fast forward to today as I walked to the waters edge at the pool for my swim, I jumped in feet first as I always do and plunge myself into he water ducking under, But this time when my feet hit the pool bottom and as i ducked under i felt my right leg give under my weight, the same leg that i smashed my shin  with and in the very spot mid shin where I injured myself last week I felt a intense pain and my whole lower leg went numb and limp!

I let out a little yelp under my breath as I had to look cool around the people in the pool and didn't want anyone to see me in any pain.  I then just crouched down in the water for a few Min's gently moving my leg in the water and tried to see if i could put any pressure on my leg....Nope, I couldn't put pressure on it, I think I may have cracked my shin bone!! (Tibia) .... Oh well, I had swimming to do, so I started to swim.

As I swam down the lane I could barely kick with my leg and when I got to the far end I tried to push off the wall and couldn't! I couldn't even touch my toe on the wall as it hurt my leg, so I pushed off with my one good leg and continued on my swim.

As my swim progressed i was able to kick more and more as my swim went on, but just a normal 2 beat easy kick as i was babying my leg hoping it's really not broken!

I continued on and finished up my 3000m swim in 55min and then chatted with a friend Maxine for a little bit, telling her what happened and showing her my shine. I was afraid to get out of the water for fear I couldn't walk!

I finally sat up on the edge for the pool and swung my legs around to stand up using my good leg then slowly put pressure on my hurt leg and limped across the pool deck to the change room.

I'm fine and there is no pain when I'm off the leg but it hurts to put pressure on it walking and to touch, so I'm thinking I might go get an x-ray and see if indeed I have a cracked my tibia when I hit the bottom of the pool as I jumped in?

:)

No comments:

Post a Comment